Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You're going to have a new friend

Hi Mom-
How was your day? I hope you had fun spending it with all our family and friends....you should have nothing but happiness now!
Work was ok...as you saw I had a patient who was contemplating hospice, and I figure he'll probably meet you soon. He is wonderful...and I know you'll welcome him with open arms. I adored his familyy because they reminded me so much of ours. His kids flew in today from out of state...i felt like I was back in Chicago 6 weeks ago. It broke my heart because Iknew exactly what they were feeling...and it totally sucks. I tried my best to make him feel better-hell, if I was dying I would hope my nurse would too! The only difference between him and you was he had some time to know he was leaving. You did, but you were half way there when I got there. But You knew I was there because you acknowledged me, and told me you loved me. I bought him his favorite candy in the gift shop, all he wanted was lemonheads. I made sure I got the last 4 boxes. I talked to his mother about how great Pixies were and how I could eat a whole box. He had 3 kids..beautiful kids who flew in from out of town. I thought about how we flew in to se you. And I knew how they felt. I wrote him a letter Mom, and I wanted to say how you'd meet him at the gate and tell him everything would be ok. but I couldn't...i just told him that I knew whathe was feeling and that the book '90 minutes in Heaven' made me feel so much better. I wanted to tell him to look for a beautiful woman named Peg and that she'd show him the ropes...Mom, please take him under your wing and welcome him to paradise. He is a wonderful man, and I had a great day with his family.
I love you, and hope to see you soon...
xoxokaty

No comments:

Post a Comment